“I want to create a giant mound of food at Lincoln Mall in Matteson that will astonish people. I want lines of cars and vans and SUVs full of food as far as the eye can see on that day.”
Those are the bold words of Homewood resident and South-Southwest Suburban United Way board member Johanns Williams, Sun-Times Media reports. He’s taken on the task of organizing April Food Day, a one-day regional food drive to support our area’s needy. According to him, those who need assistance can’t rely on politicians to solve the problem. Others, he says, are too proud to reach out for help. That’s why he’s stepping in.
“We’re the ones who have to start the change,” Williams told the Southtown Star.
April Food Day will be held Thursday, April 18 at Lincoln Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Specificlly requested items include:
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- 100% fruit and vegetable juice
- Canned meats and stews
- Canned and dry beans
- Pasta and sauce
- Bagged rice
- Hamburger Helper
- Mashed potatoes
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Evaporated or powdered milk packets
- Infant supplies
- Hygiene products and toiletries
All the proceeds will go to the Respond Now food pantry to help feed needy south suburbanites.
In addition to April Food Day, a Southland food drive has already begun. Drop off boxes are located at the following hotels:
- Baymont Inn & Suites, 12801 Cicero Ave., Alsip
- Days Inn, 5150 W. 127th St., Alsip
- Days Inn, 9625 S. 76th Ave., Bridgeview
- Best Western Midway Airport, 8220 Cicero Ave., Burbank
- Crestwood Inn, 13330 Cicero Ave., Crestwood
Get the rest of the story by the Sun-Times Media