With Halloween around the corner, we thought it would be fun to ask around and hear about local encounters with the paranormal. Between the alleged phantom rotting corpse that appears under cars in Walt’s Parking lot to the screaming woman in the basement of a Flossmoor home. Of course, there’s not much reason to panic over these wandering souls. After two years of typing police blotters, we’ve still yet to see any paranormal crime occur.
Here’s some local stories submitted by our Facebook users:
- "I live at 1600 Ridge Road, "The Mushroom House" and yes in this house there have been many... "
- "I first read of the phantom corpse of Walt's parking lot about it 5 or 6 years ago. But have no idea what website I found it on. I would be absolutely horrified to spy a phantom rotting corpse under my car while putting away groceries. Saying that at least the cheeky ghoul has a sense of humour I suppose."
- "I know of two people who have seen similar apparitions on Dixie Highway, both were of a WW2 era GI type fella walking on the side of the road. Both drivers swear they hit the guy, both drivers got out of the car to look, neither of them saw anything. The two incidents happened a fair few years apart."
- "... I know my neighbors have some activity in their home. Their alarm gets tripped for no reason. Sometimes a person is seen walking around upstairs when nobody else is up there."
- "I grew up in an older home in Flossmoor and there was a "screaming lady" in our basement who made her presence known from time to time."
- "A clown haunts willow hill.. it broke my daughters foot a few years back...no one else saw it.....Whooooo.."
- "Yep, lived in a haunted house in Homewood years ago"
- "There is a house around the corner from me on Traverse in Flossmoor that is known to be haunted."
- "Check out Bachelor's Grove. BUWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
- "Growing up we thought there was a haunted church on Morris right by Lassens... We would hang out in the parking lot....the older kids always said there was a witch living in a house just across the street, her name was Romi"
- "Our TV fell off a chair for no reason Saturday - does that count?"
- I'm part of a paranormal investigation group and we all live in Homewood, but have never had clients from the area. Would love to document if anyone is experiencing phenomena! Most of our clients are from rural Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, other midwestern states. We used to call ourselves the Homewood area paranormal society, but then ghost Hunters came out and haps sounded to much like taps so we changed it to the paranormal people, we have been in the area since 2004."
- "Heard that at night if you walk past the cemetery by home depot, there is said to be a screaming woman dressed in a bloody white dress. It is said that this woman was murdered the day of her wedding and she has been trying to avenge her murderer ever since her death in 1863."
- "Late one night, many moons ago I saw a phantom white rabbit prowling around on Willow, though I now believe it may have been conjured by the spirits of Jamesons I had imbibed."