Invite a friend
A Chicago World's Fair To Remember by Suzanne L. Epstein, Ph.D.
The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 was created to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's discovery of America. Hosted in Chicago, the World's Fair was so spectacular that it attracted over 27 million people from all over the world during its six month run.
This lecture by Dr. Suzanne L. Epstein will focus on the splendid architecture of the Fair which, together with its exquisitely landscaped setting, exerted a major influence on city planning and public building throughout the world for almost four decades after the close of the Fair.
The lecture will highlight major sculptural works at the Fair. Slides of the interiors and the fascinating contents of many of the Fair's buildings will also be shown.
Although most of these buildings, their contents and their sculptural decorations have now vanished, the many photographs and paintings made of them continue to remind us of the incredible richness and breathtaking beauty of that splendid World's Fair which attracted the attention of the entire world to Chicago in 1893.
|Where||Flossmoor Public Library 1000 Sterling Ave, Flossmoor, IL 60422 (Helen Wilson Meeting Room)|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||7:00 pm–8:00 pm|
More About Flossmoor Public Library
With events for adults, teens, and children, the Flossmoor Public Library offers something for everyone. Built in 2004, it boasts both new technology, such as the two Kindle's which they keep loaded with books from the New York Times bestsellers lists, and excellent facilites, including a 150 seat meeting room. Kids can enjoy not only searching for books but also enjoying the aquatic life within the 75-gallon salt water fish tank in the youth services department. The Flossmoor Public Library's living room area offers a great environment to cozy up with a book, complete with a working fireplace.
Other events here
- Flossmoor Library "Beneath the Surface" Teen Summer Reading Program Mon, Jun 3,
- Flossmoor Library "Dig Into Reading" Kids Summer Reading Program Mon, Jun 3,
- Local Author Book Event & Signing: Amy Sue Nathan Tue, Jun 4, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- The Craig Nelson Magic Show Wed, Jun 5, 7:00 pm–7:45 pm
- Astronomy For Everyone: Size & Scale of the Universe Thu, Jun 6, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- T-Rexplorers Mon, Jun 10, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Dinosaur Discovery, Presented by C.R.I.C.K.E.T. Tue, Jun 11, 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Drop-in Wiggles and Giggles Weekly on Wednesdays, 10:30 am–10:50 am
- Classic Movie @ Noon Wed, Jun 12, 12:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Brown Bag & a Movie: City of Ember Thu, Jun 13, 1:15 pm–2:50 pm