Update @ 1 p.m. on June 26: the secret Cash Mob location, , and the after-mob party at Tokyo Japaese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar has been added to the body.
That special time of month where one lucky local business gets picked to be mobbed by shoppers. After breaking through with the first South Suburban Cash Mob ever only a couple months ago, is now moving along with its third Cash Mob installment, but this time, things are a little different.
Patch caught up with Kate Duff, the driving force behind , to find out a little bit more on what to expect from Wednesday’s event.
To start with, the Wednesday, June 27 Cash Mob will break from the standard hour-or-so timeframe and, instead, last all day long, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“With each Cash Mob, we get more feedback about what works best for Homewood,” Duff said. “The key thing we’ve heard, I think, is the need for flexibility. Homewood residents are very busy, they’re juggling multiple responsibilities, and we all need to balance our desire to support local business with our personal budget.
"We hope this will better accommodate Cash Mob participants schedules and be a little more convenient for the business,” she continued. “We’re also doing on-site promotion through window signs and business cards, and we’ll be running a raffle for Cash Mob participants.”
That’s right—this Cash Mob will also include a raffle that all mobbers are eligible to enter into. The rules to join are simple:
- Buy something during the Cash Mob event.
- Post a photo of your purchase on the Homewood Cash Mob Facebook page.
- Repeat with any additional purchases. Each photo of a purchase gets you another chance to win. Prizes will be donated by .
The Future of the Homewood Cash Mob
Despite a slightly lower turnout , Duff is optimistic about the program.
“We had new faces come out—it wasn’t just the folks who participated in the first Mob,” Duff said. “… As long as we get a good response—as long as the feedback from the community is positive—we’ll continue to do Cash Mobs."
Duff added that she’s working to explore even more creative avenues for the program and develop the Cash Mob idea even further.
“Remember that the Village and the Chamber of Commerce/Downtown Homewood Business Association are also running programs to promote local business,” Duff added. “I look at the Cash Mobs as a resident-led effort that complements those other efforts.”
as Third Cash Mob location
Homewood's third Cash Mob, scheduled for this Wednesday, June 27, will be held at Homewood Florist.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, a secret location (Homewood Florist) will be announced Tuesday morning. Everyone is invited to shop at the secret location between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and take advantage of Cash Mob specials being offered by the secret location. An after mob party will also be held at another secret location from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Registry forms will be available for Duff and the other Cash Mob helpers to track participation, so make sure to sign-in!
Here's a simplified schedule
Tuesday, June 26
- Secret mob and post-mob locations are announced: The Cash Mob will be held at Homewood Florist with an after party at Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Wednesday, June 27
- Third Homewood Cash Mob begins at the Homewood Florist at 9 a.m. and lasts until 5 p.m. (those who still want to participate can sign up on the participation sheet at the Homewood Florist until Saturda)
- Post-mob party will be held at Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- All shoppers are encouraged to post photos of their purchases on the Homewood Cash Mob Facebook page for a chance to win raffle prizes