Erica Johnson of Homewood is demanding the company that makes Tide laundry detergent pods change its packaging after her grandson was hospitalized for eating one, according to ABC News Chicago.
Johnson's grandson, fifteen-month-old Dakari Byrd, spent days in intensive care after mistaking the pod for candy.
"He began to go into respiratory distress, and became lethargic," Johnson said. "He became violently ill almost immediately with severe vomiting and diarrhea …"
Byrd is not alone. Over 8,700 reports of similar incidents have come about in the first eight months of 2013, alone, reports ABC News.
Johnson has since started a movement to get Proctor & Gamble to change the pods so they don't look like candy. Her online petition already has over 34,000 signatures. But she's facing a tough battle. Proctor & Gamble has already changed its product design twice, after similar complaints. The company released a statement saying they have no intention to make future alterations.