Last week, and Facebook page for readers to submit questions for Mayor Paul Braun.
Now, we need your help to identify which questions you want answered most. Simply vote for your favorites in our poll below. Multiple votes are OK. If your question isn't represented in the poll, add it in the comments and we'll keep it in mind for the next round.
- What is the Village doing to lower the property tax burden for homeowners? Many Flossmoor homeowners are having an extremely difficult time selling their homes because of the high property taxes.
- What is the deal with not being able to park a truck in your driveway?
- What's going on with the plot of land in downtown Flossmoor that's been vacant for so long?
- What can you tell us about the prospective development of the parcel of land on Vollmer between Crawford & Central Park? Who in the village is working on this long-term project and can the village encourage or impose, by zoning changes, future construction to meet environmentally sustainable criteria?
- Who maintains the property outside the post office? It looks horrible.
- What is the village doing to make our village safer? Flossmoor's reputation for its concern for the safety of its citizen should be its driving force not just enforcing minor ordinances.
- When will the new electric rates be in effect? What discount relative to ComEd have we negotiated with our new electric supplier?
- Why is it acceptable for the assistant village manger to be neither a resident of Flossmoor, nor an elected official?
- Why can't the corner of Vardon and Dixie be repaired so it doesn't retain water every time there is precipitation?
- Why doesn't Flossmoor offer leaf pickups in the fall with all of the trees in our community? Many surrounding suburbs are offered this.
- Is there a plan in the works with school district 161 to repair the horrible drainage problem in the parking lot of Parker Junior High?
- Has any of Flossmoor’s administrative staff and legal counsel actually completed any of the certification training requirements by International Code Council (ICC) to enforce and adjudicate our newly enacted building/fire codes ordinance for both residential and commercial properties at this time? Will all contractors/trades working in our village require proof that these certification guidelines have been satisfied as recommended? Will Flossmoor’s existing, now out- dated building codes, some of which date back to the 60’s, be removed from our ordinances as to avoid any confusion? If our staff has not met the ICC certification criteria, will we have to outsource these services? Has anyone actually read these volumes of code books and is there still time to re-exam/reassess the newly adopted codes and see which ones really suit our little village needs.
- Why isn't the Flossmoor Village Code available online like most other towns?
- Where do you stand on grade centers?
- As it is, we are charged a sewer tax on water used each month ( or quarter) of the year. As I am sure all are aware, much summer water never makes it into the sewers and is used for outdoor watering, yet we still must pay a sewer tax on this water. Many communities have adapted a more equitable approach. They take the 'Winter" 6 months (Nov-April) or the Winter quarters, and charge the same sewer tax for the Summer months. Can the Village would look into adopting a similar policy so that we are fairly taxed on the water we use that is returned to the sewer system?
- I have a question regarding the Flossmoor Police Department, why don't they have at least one or two K9 units? More than a year ago the Supreme Court ruled that if a police K9 dog alerts to the presents of drugs that car can be legally searched. I am a police officer with another town which is why I know we have more drugs moving through Flossmoor today than ever before and those drugs are ending up at HF, our other schools and in the hands of our children! Why not do everything we can to ensure the safety of our children, making it as hard as possible for drug dealer to enter our town?
- Will the new downtown lights save money? I have heard many questions about the expense of the lights/installation and I’m not sure how to answer. Maybe spending some money on general village street lights would be an understandable expense in addition to lowering our potential for increased crime rate.
- What is the overall plan behind all the tree removals? A tree was cut down in front of my house a few weeks ago. There was no communication. Are they going to grind out the stump? I also heard that the village used to split the cost of planting a new tree. Is this offer still available?
- What's up with all of the beer cans up and down Sterling?
- I have noticed unleashed Pitt Bulls in Heather Hill. Do we have a fence or leash law? I know Pitt Bulls are friendly dogs unless abused, but sheesh.
- When you ran for office you promised that despite the recession you would explore new ways of achieving economic development for Flossmoor, particularly through green environment activities and that we would become a leader in the south suburban area for such activities. Can you tell us about the funding received to-date for such green (and other) initiatives? Have we become a leader in our region?
- What's the plan for the pavement at the intersection of Flossmoor and Kedzie? HF might lose a bus and/or a few students this year!
- Although the subject has been tossed around for over 20 years now, have there been any serious discussions among staff and our elected representatives for finally putting together a solid comprehensive plan for Flossmoor? If so, will the residents be allowed any input?
Which questions would you like Mayor Braun to answer?