Monday, August 13, 2012
Fuel has been seeping up from the ground at the Homewood gas station and into a nearby storm drain for an unknown amount of time, firefighters say.
UPDATE on Aug. 13 at 10:20 p.m. The gasoline leak was repaired and environmental hazard response organization SET Environmental Inc. is working on cleanup, according to Homewood Fire Lieutenant Bill Wright. SET has been working along with Homewood Public Works to isolate the sewer contaminants, Wright said. Once they have all the gas contained, it will be extracted from the sewer, but the process is likely to go well into the night, according to Wright. On the surface, Homewood firefighters were able to neutralize the flammability of the spilled fuel by treating it with special chemicals. A complete cleanup is expected by morning, Wright said. The area is now generally regarded as safe, but firefighters are still asking residents to stay …
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
ComEd is currently working to restore service to the affected area.
A woman crashed her car into a utility pole near the intersection of Ashland and Pine earlier this morning. Homewood Fire Lieutenant Bill Wright says the woman was driving southbound on Ashland when her vehicle veered into the northbound lane (for an unknown reason). According to Wright, the woman swerved out of the way to avoid hitting an oncoming driver. Her transit was stopped by a utility pole, which she split in half, knocking down live wires in the process. Despite the dangerous situation, the driver was able to climb from the wreckage and wait nearby as help arrived. Wright says she was generally unharmed from the accident. Ashland is still closed from Maple to Ridge Road. ComEd trucks are currently working to repair the pole and …
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Riegel is currently blocked off from Idlewild to 191st Street as ComEd employees continue to work on the lines.
A transformer fire in the rear of the 19000 block of Loomis prompted a response from firefighters earlier today, according to Homeood Fire Lieutenant Bill Wright. Readers are telling Patch the incident also sparked several small grass fires. Homewood Firefighters have since turned the scene over to ComEd, but Riegel Road, from Idlewild to 191st is still blocked off. A spokesperson for ComEd said they've been working on repairs since 10:30 a.m. According to him, 50 customers were without power earlier. That number as since decreased to 9 customers without power, according to ComEd. Several of our readers, however, are reporting intermittent power supply as of 2:40 p.m. ComEd says they hope to be done with repairs before the day's end.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
An accidental fire over the weekend stalled business for the store location, but the local franchise is scheduled to reopen Wednesday.
UPDATED: May 22 at noon. A Homewood Dunkin' Donuts is scheduled to be back up and running early this week after a boiler fire over the weekend. Early Saturday morning, Homewood Firefighters promptly responded to reports of a fire inside the 183rd Street Dunkin' Donuts location. "I looked inside and, from floor to ceiling, the store was charged with smoke," Homewood Fire Lieutenant Bill Wright said. According to Wright, firefighters were able to pinpoint the blaze in a storage room. An automatic sprinkler system helped keep the fire in check before the firefighters were able to finish the job with extinguishers, he said. Flossmoor, Glenwood, Hazel Crest and Country Club Hills Fire Departments came to help out as well. "The fire seemed …